Bookchat is a place where we get together to talk about books we have recently read. Come along and tell us about what you have been reading, or just come to hear what titles other people have enjoyed.
Elma Turner Library
Bookchat meets at Elma Turner Library on the second Tuesday of each month. Just roll up - all sessions start at 10.30am.
- 8 January, 2019
- 12 February, 2019
- 12 March, 2019
- 9 April, 2019
- 14 May, 2019
- 11 June, 2019
- 9 July, 2019
- 13 August, 2019
- 10 September, 2019
- 8 October, 2019
- 12 November, 2019
- 10 December, 2019
Bookchat meets at Stoke Library on the third Wednesday of each month. Just roll up - all sessions start at 5.30pm.
- 16 January, 2019
- 20 February, 2019
- 20 March, 2019
- 17 April, 2019
- 15 May, 2019
- 19 June, 2019
- 17 July, 2019
- 21 August, 2019
- 18 September, 2019
- 16 October, 2019
- 20 November, 2019
- 18 December, 2019
YA Reading Club
Our Young Adult Reading Club meets:
- At Stoke Library on the third Tuesday of each month
- At Elma Turner Library on the third Wednesday of each month
Just roll up – most sessions start at 3.45pm.
- March 19th/20th – Make your own bookmarks
- April 16th/17th Library scavenger hunt - School Holiday activity, kicks off at 3pm
- May 15th (Elma Turner) and 21st (Stoke) – NZ Sign Language taster
- June 18th/19th – Creative Writing
- July 16th board games and hot chocolate, 3pm at Stoke Library (School Holidays)
- July 17th, movie and popcorn, 3pm at Elma Turner (School Holidays)
- August 20th/21st - Poetry month
- September 17th/18th – Banned Books month
- October 1st/2nd – School Holiday Lit Quiz from 3pm
- November 19th/20th – End of year movie and pizza night from 5pm
All dates, times and activities to be confirmed.
Book discussion scheme
The Book Discussion Scheme is a nation-wide non-profit organisation. BDS lends books & professionally prepared discussion notes to book groups. There are a number of BDS groups that meet in the Nelson Area. Groups pay a fee.
U3A book groups
U3A Nelson have four book related study groups:
- A reading group, where the members talk about books on a prescribed subject.
- A discussion group where participants get the books and notes from WEA.
- A group called 'Critical Analysis of Contemporary Literature,'
- A group called 'Bookcases,' where the members meet in each other's homes and show and tell about a selection of books from their personal bookcase.