Join the Library
It is free to join Nelson Public Libraries.
Who can join?
You can join Nelson Public Libraries if:
- You live permanently in Nelson City, Marlborough or Tasman Districts
- You pay rates to Nelson City Council
- You attend an educational institution in Nelson City
How do I join?
To become a full member you need to visit one of our libraries and provide identification and proof of residence:
- Photo ID is preferable for personal identification, e.g. a driver's licence or passport.
- Proof of address should be "official" mail sent to you at your residential address, e.g. a telephone, electricity or rates account.
If you are under 18, you will need to be accompanied by a guarantor who must also supply personal ID and proof of their address.
If you have recently moved to Nelson and do not have proof of your permanent address, you can join as a temporary member. You must still supply personal identification. A temporary member can borrow two items at a time and access our online resources. To become a full member, you must bring proof of address to the libraries within three months.
Visitors to Nelson
If you are in Nelson temporarily or on holiday you are welcome to join our libraries as a temporary member. It is free to join, but you are only allowed two items at any one time. The membership will expire after three months. You will need to provide proof of ID and also your permanent residential address.
Conditions of Membership
As a library member or as a guarantor, I agree to:
- ensure that all items borrowed from the library are returned by the due date and in good condition
- notify change of address and card loss immediately
- pay upon demand all overdue, damage or replacement charges incurred
- allow my personal information to be used in accordance with Nelson Public Libraries’ privacy statement
- comply with Nelson Public Libraries Copyright Policy
I agree that the information provided at registration is correct.
Acceptance and online application form
Click below to accept our library conditions and proceed to the application form. Completion of the application form as well as the signature on the issued library card implies acceptance of our conditions.