This Privacy Statement forms part of Nelson Public Libraries' conditions of membership.
1) Your application for membership provides personal information about you to the Nelson City Council. The Nelson City Council collects that information to enable accurate records to be maintained as to the identity and contact details of library members, and for statistical purposes to record the use made of library material. In submitting this application for membership, you agree that the Nelson City Council may use that information for the purposes of:
- managing your library membership including the maintenance of your records, advising you of outstanding items, recovering outstanding fees and charges and;
- if you are under 18 years of age, contacting and discussing with your guarantor, parent or guardian any matters arising from your library membership.
2) The information may be given to other sections of Council apart from the library and also to a credit agency in the event that Nelson City Council has to take action against you for recovery of any payments due and owing by you to Council in respect of your library membership.
3) You agree that library staff may contact you by post, email and telephone, including leaving automated telephone messages, and that the Nelson City Council will not be liable for any other person being able to access any mail, email or telephone messages sent to you.
4) The personal information collected as part of the information provided in this application for membership will be held by the Nelson City Council. You have the right to access that information and request changes to it at any time during normal office hours.
5) By law, you do not have to provide the personal information requested. However, if you do not supply the information requested on the application for membership form, then the Nelson City Council library may not be able to process your application or provide you with membership.
6) Our Library Management System (LMS) records which items you borrow. If you do not want the LMS to retain this information, please let us know. Your borrowing history is not shared, and is primarily a record for your own use (we can show you how to access the information), however the Library may use it occasionally, and confidentially, to alert you to programmes you may be interested in.