Nelson Provincial Museum - Isel Park Research Facility
- Isel Park (off Hilliard Street )
- Stoke, Nelson
- PO Box 853, Nelson
- Phone: (+64) 3 547 9740
- Fax: (+64 3) 547 8549
- 12.30pm - 4.30pm Tuesday to Saturday, by appointment
- Closed Sunday and Monday
Staff to assist
Free admission - donations are appreciated. Research and reproduction fees may apply.
- A Biography index under surname giving brief information from various sources
- A large collection of manuscripts and archives generated by individuals and organisations from the Nelson region
- A photographic collection of over 1.2 million negatives complements the archives collection
Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Birth, death and marriage notices from local newspapers indexed alphabetically 1842-1920, 1978-2003 (ongoing).
- Index to Nelson Photo News marriages 1961-1974.
- Roman Catholic local marriages and baptisms indexed from 1844-1913.
- Presbyterian archives for the Nelson Marlborough Presbytery include marriage and baptism records from a number of parishes from 1853.
- Lutheran baptisms 1846-1906, marriages 1849-1920, deaths 1848-1909.
- Church of Christ Spring Grove marriages 1891-1950.
- Church of Christ, Nelson marriages, 1898 - 1918.
- Nelson, Marlborough, West Coast region cemetery burial records and headstone transcriptions.
- Admission registers and school committee records from the former Nelson Education Board area including Buller. The earliest date from 1873.
- Nelson College archives 1853-1959,. Class rolls Boys 1881-1931, Girls 1896-1933.
- Bishop's School rolls 1860-1895.
Electoral Rolls, Census, Directories
- Electoral rolls for Nelson region 1854-1896. Electoral rolls for New Zealand 1865 - 1896 (microfilm).
- Telephone directories for Nelson 1938 to present; Postal directories. Some prior to 1900 and an incomplete set until 1947.
- Census for Nelson District 1845 and 1849.
- Nelson Jury lists 1843-1861.
- Nelson & district telephone exchange subscribers 1902, c.1919, c.1922.
- Rate books and valuation assessments of Nelson City 1857-1878, 1910-1949 and Tahunanui, 1933-1950.
- Maps showing numbered sections throughout the Nelson Land District.
- Appointments preferred for access to the map collection.
- A selection of cancelled deeds and land transfer documents relating to properties in the Nelson Land District and name index currently being compiled.
- Historical information on Māori in the Nelson region.
- H.J Fletcher's "Index of Māori names" (microfilm edition).
- Alexander Mackay's "A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island"
- Nelson Examiner 1842-1861
- Colonist 1857-1920
- Nelson Evening Mail 1866-1996, 1999-2001
In 1995, The Nelson Evening Mail was renamed The Nelson Mail
- Golden Bay Argus 1883-1911
West Coast papers oddments only
- The Greymouth Evening Star: Otira Tunnel supplement 4.8.1923
- The Buller Post 30.12.1897
- The Murchison Standard 16.7.1920, 9.2.1925; 31.12.1925; 31.12.1937
- Inangahua Murchison Times 22.2.1956,
- Lyell Times and Central Gazette - 1888, 1892. And reprints of 3.10.1885, 13.3.1886 and original for the 22.10.1887 newspaper
- The Reefton Guardian 6.5.1889
- The Westport Times and Evening Star 16.4.1895
- The Buller Miner 24.9.1915, 11.2.1916; 25.2.1916; 10.3.1916; 7.4.1916; 1.9.1916
- The Murchison Star 30.6.1937
- The Charleston Herald and Brighton Times May 1869 no 248
- The West Coast Times 30.1.1867
- The Inangahua Herald 1872
- The Inangahua Herald and Nelson South West Goldfields Advertiser 30.8.1873; 20.8.1873, 19.2.1878, 31.1.1882;24.2.1882; 4, 6, 8, 11, June 1882; 9.5.1882; 28.6.1882; 20.11.1882
- The Grey River Argus 18.8.1867
- Detailed records are available for assisted immigrants sponsored by: New Zealand Company 1840-1850, Nelson Provincial Government 1853-1867: New Zealand Government 1874 - 1879.
- Brief passenger listings from local newspapers, including trans-Tasman and coastal shipping, 1842-1870.