Alexander Turnbull Library
National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa
A selection of images from the pictorial collections is searchable and available on the Internet from the Library's digital catalogue.
Manuscript, photographic and published works include material on New Zealand, Pacific and Māori language, culture and history. Before using the Alexander Turnbull Library, please ensure that you have used local resources first.
- Printed and manuscript material containing Whakapapa.
- Online Index to Māori land court minutes 1865-1910 - provides access to information about Māori land, people and whakapapa. The index can only be used on-site in the National Library, Wellington.
- Nelson Examiner, 1842-1873 (microfilm)
- Colonist, 1857-1920 (many gaps)
- Nelson Evening Mail, 1866-1940, 1950-1995. Issues microfilmed between 1866 - 1920 and 1950 -1995. Some gaps in paper copies between 1920 - 1940.
- Nelson Evening Mail March 1866 to December 1909 also available at Papers Past, National Library of New Zealand .
Nelson newspaper titles in the Alexander Turnbull Library's Interloan Microfilm Collection can be located in the National Library's online catalogue.
Under Keyword search, type in - " New Zealand newspapers" +Nelson, this will show the holdings for newspapers held in this region. Or, you can select 'Serial title (begins with)', and put in the title of a particular newspaper.
- New Zealand Company lists, 1839-44,1847-50, indexed
- New Zealand Shipping Company lists, 1875-1950 (indexed 1875-83)