Borrowing, renewals and charges
You may use your library card at all three libraries and borrow up to 35 items. Please bring your card with you every time you visit the library.
|Item type||Free loan period||Rental fee|
|Books and talking books||4 weeks||Free|
|DVDs - film, music, TV series||2 weeks||$2|
|DVDs - non-fiction||2 weeks||Free|
|CDs - music||2 weeks||Free|
|Bestseller collection||1 week||$3|
Renewing an item extends the due date by the loan period, e.g. a 4-week loan will renew for an extra 4-weeks.
Ways to renew
- Online by logging into the online catalogue
- On the go by using our mobile app
- By phone on 03 546 8100, please have your library card number handy
- In person at one of our three branch libraries
How renewals work
- Items may be renewed once
- Items are renewed from the day you renew them
- Items cannot be renewed if they have a reservation on them
- If there is a charge for borrowing the item, that charge will be re-applied for a renewal (e.g. a $2 DVD renewed will cost an extra $2)
Fees and charges
If you choose to keep your items for longer than the free loan period, the following charges will apply:
|General collection||50c per day per item|
|Bestseller collection||$1 per day per item|
|Children's and Young Adult collections||No charge|
Once the overdue fee limit is reached, a full item replacement fee is applied. This lost fee is waived on return of the item and overdue charges may still apply.
Hold fees (reserves)
- $2.00 per item
- Children's and Young Adults' items are exempt from this charge
Replacement library card
- $5.00 — $20.00 per item
- National Library of New Zealand CD: $5.00 per item
Outstanding unpaid accounts
If you owe the library $10 or more your account will be blocked and you may not borrow any more items until this amount is cleared.
Outstanding debts of $10 or more may be referred to a debt collection agency. All costs incurred in the recovery of outstanding accounts will be paid by the customer.
The Nelson City Council Westpac account number is: 03-0703-0325055-00.
Please include your details into the following fields when using internet banking.
- Code: Last four digits of your Library card number
- Particulars: Name: surname then your initials
- Reference: Library
You can pay online by credit card through the Nelson City Council online payments form. Enter your library card number in the reference number field.