Nelson Family History Centre
The Family History Centre is a service provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and assisted by the N.Z. Society of Genealogists.
- 119 Nayland Road, Stoke, Nelson
Phone: (+64 3) 547 9504
- Monday 9.30am to 2.30pm
- Wednesday 9.30am to 2.30pm
- Saturday 9.30am to 2.30pm
NB The Nelson Family History Centre is closed on all Public Holiday weekends and approximately 6 weeks over December and January.
Reference staff to assist, computers with internet access. FamilySearch is the website of the Church, with free family history, family tree, and genealogy records and resources from around the world.
There is no charge for research using resources in the Centre. A range of films and fiches are available from Utah, these must now be ordered privately from the FamilySearch website.
Director Maria Robinson +64 3 5410482
The Family History Centre has an extensive collection of worldwide online, microfiche, microfilm and CD-ROM records and indexes, for example Ancestral file, Genealogical Research Directory 1990-1996 and Pedigree Resource File. The range of online resources available to use at the Centre is growing and includes: 19th Century British Newspapers, Newspaper Archives, Alexander Street Press (American Civil War Collections), Ancestry.com (Family History Library Edition), ArkivDigital Online (Swedish genealogy), FindMyPast , Fold3.com (military war records - mainly US), Historic Map Works (Library Edition), Origins.net (British and Irish records).
- Births Deaths and Marriages
- Cemetery Records
- Electoral rolls & directories
- Passenger lists, shipping & immigration
International Genealogical Index 1992 edition: all countries on microfiche and computer.
- Boer War 1900-1903; World War I Deaths 1914-1918; World War II Deaths 1939-1945
- Registrar General’s index to births, deaths & marriages, complete to 1990 (fiche) and marriages 1836-1956 (CD)
- Registrar General's BDM for individual states (date ranges vary) on fiche.
- Australian Vital Records Index 1788-1905
- Queensland Toowoomba Chronicle BDM etc
England and Wales
- Government Record Office (GRO) BDM 1837 – 1987
- Consular, military and marine BDM Indexes
- Boyd's Marriage Index
- Pallot's BM Indexes 1780-1837
- Vital Records Index 1538-1888
- Parish Registers: an extensive collection
- UK High Commissioner Marriage Index 1950-65
- Old Parochial Registers pre-1855
- Calendars of Confirmation (of death) 1876-1936
- North American Vital Records
- US Military Index 1950-1975
- US Social Security Death Index 1937-1997
- NZSG fiche (includes 2009 update)
- Burial locator (NZSG CD) Christchurch, Hutt Valley and Waimakariri cemeteries
England and Wales
- Hampshire burial records (CD)
- National Burial Index (CD)
On CD unless otherwise stated:
England and Wales
- 1841 - Middlesex
- 1851 - Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Glamorgan, Gloucestershire, Liverpool, London (booklets, fiche), Norfolk, Somerset, Warwickshire, Wiltshire
- 1861 - Middlesex
- 1871 - London (some, in booklets)
- 1881 - all
- 1831 - Londonderry
- 1841 - Cavan
- 1851 - Dublin City
- 1881 - all
- Electoral rolls 1866, 1870,1875,1880,1881 (CD)1887,1893(CD),1899,1911,1914, 1922,1928,1935,1949,1960; General and Women 1893; Māori 1908, 1924,1949 (microfiche)
- Wise’s Postal Directories 1866-1953, 18 volumes, various dates.
- Stone’s Directories 1886, 1907, 1909, 1915.
Early Electoral Rolls - NSW (1903), Tasmania (1903), W. Australia (1901)
- England & Wales - Owners of land, by county, 1873
- Ireland - Owners of land in Ireland 1876; Griffith's Valuation Lists (1820-64) & Index (1848-64)
- Scotland - Services of Heirs
- IGI, Locality Catalogue (includes Māori Land Court records). Microfiche and computer.
- Electoral roll 1908, 1949 and 1960 on Microfiche.
- Cole Jensen collection (Māori and Polynesian genealogy). Microfilm.
- Nga Taonga o te Tai Tokerau Māori Research Centre Bibliography listing manuscripts, theses and books
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biographies vols. I and II
A wide range of indexes and lists on CD, Microfilm, fiche, paper files and printouts. The main items of interest are:
- NZ Company Embarkation Register 1839-1850
- NZ, ships to: 1871-1888
- UK, Passengers from: 1883-1910 (Social Security shipping)
- NZ Ports and Provinces (Canterbury 1855-1871; New Plymouth 1852-1880; Otago (settlers) pre-1851; Otago (shipping) 1855-1871; Southland 1850-1873; Timaru 1855-1871
- Wellington & Early Wellington settlers 1855-1887
- NSW, unassisted arrivals to (incs. arrivals from NZ) 1842-1855
- Tasmanian Pioneers Indes 1803-1899
- Victoria, outwards to NZ 1852-1923 (CD)
Mormon Immigration Index (CD)
- New Zealand
Index to the New Zealand Probate list to 1900
- England & Wales
General Information in the Locality Catalogue
Lincolnshire: Indexes of Wills 1700-1900(CD)
Testaments, Registers of