Land and Property
Local ResourcesAncestors’ Attic
- Nominal index 1850 – 1862 copy of original with Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) Christchurch
- Early local government records, rate books, valuation assessments, wharfages, maps. Takaka Dairy Company records.
- Photocopies of land title records and local land legislation
- See also the book: Mitchell, H. & J. (2009) Te Tau Ihu o Te Waka: A History of Maori of Nelson and Marlborough. Vol 3 : Nga tupuna – the ancestors. Huia Publishers in association with Wakatu Incorporation.
- Land Deeds- indexed collection of many local area
- Local body records and information. Building permits from approximately 1900 onwards plus water, drainage and electricity records.
- England & Wales - Owners of land, by county, 1873
- Ireland - Owners of land in Ireland 1876; Griffith's Valuation Lists (1820-64) & Index (1848-64)
- Scotland - Services of Heirs
- Rate books and valuation assessments of Nelson City 1857-1878, 1910-1949 and Tahunanui, 1933-1950.
- Maps showing numbered sections throughout the Nelson Land District. Appointments preferred for access to the map collection.
- A selection of cancelled deeds and land transfer documents relating to properties in the Nelson Land District and name index currently being compiled.
- Rating rolls and valuation assessments for Nelson 1996 – present.
- Early street directories.
- Telephone books 1941 to present.
- Deeds system records
1840-1924 Nelson, Marlborough, Westland and Canterbury Land Districts. On Archway use advanced search and the records search path. In the accession field enter CH1034 for the Nelson Land District and search. From the results, look for the statement “Digitised record available” click on this statement to download file
- Various types of land records. Historical records are described here.
- Land under the Land Transfer system eg certificates of title, is dealt with by LINZ on Landonline.
- Current ownership, trustee, memorial and block information for land that falls within the jurisdiction of the Māori Land Court.