Local ResourcesAncestor's Attic / New Zealand Society of Genealogists - Nelson Branch
- New Zealand Maori electoral rolls 1919- fiche.
- New Zealand Maori deaths index 1913-1961 fiche.
- New Zealand Maori marriages index 1911-1952 fiche.
- Nominal roll embarkations 28 Maori Battalion to 1944.
- Scrapbook of Maori in Nelson.
- Baptismal, marriage and burial records of Māori. Marriage records prior to 1850 written in Māori.
- Photocopies of early baptism records, especially Wesleyan Church.
- Photocopies of land title records and local land legislation.
- Various Whakapapa books. Photocopies of family trees.
- See also: Mitchell, H & J (2009) Te Tau Ihu o Te Waka: A History of Maori of Nelson and Marlborough, vol.3 Nga tupuna – the ancestors . Wellington, N.Z. : Huia Publishers in association with the Wakatū Incorporation
- IGI, Locality Catalogue (includes Māori Land Court records). Microfiche and computer.
- Electoral roll 1908, 1949 and 1960 on Microfiche.
- Cole Jensen collection (Māori and Polynesian genealogy). Microfilm.
- Nga Taonga o te Tai Tokerau Māori Research Centre Bibliography listing manuscripts, theses and books.
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biographies vols. I and II.
- Historical information on Māori in the Nelson region. H.J Fletcher's "Index of Māori names" (microfilm edition). Alexander Mackay's "A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island.
- Māori Collection housed separately.
- Nelson Māori Land Court minute books plus on-line Māori Land Court Minute Book Index (available in the Library only).
- Fletcher's index to Māori names (Microfilm edition).
- Turton's land deeds of the North Island (Microfiche edition).
- A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island compiled by Alexander MacKay (Microfiche edition).
- Published histories of various iwi.
- Available on Ancestry Library (in the Library only) New Zealand, Maori Land Claims, 1858-1980
National and Online Resources
- Printed and manuscript material containing Whakapapa.
- Online Index to Māori land court minutes 1865-1910 - provides access to information about Māori land, people and whakapapa. The index can only be used on-site in the National Library, Wellington.
- The Māori Reference Collection contains published Māori material across all subject areas. The material can be used on-site in the National Library in Wellington. Use the National Library Catalogue to see what's available. See also the National Library's webpage.
- Māori Land Court minute books.
- a snapshot of current ownership, trustee, memorial and block information for land that falls within the jurisdiction of the Māori Land Court under Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993 and other legislation – this is primarily Māori Customary and Māori Freehold Land, but also includes, General Land Owned by Māori, Crown Land Reserved for Māori and some treaty settlement reserves, mahingā kai and fishing rights areas.