Passenger lists and shipping
Local ResourcesEarly Settlers to Nelson
- Early Settlers to Nelson and the ships they came on, 1841-1850
- A wide range of indexes and lists on CD, Microfilm, fiche, paper files and printouts; more..
- Detailed records are available for assisted immigrants sponsored by: New Zealand Company 1840-1850, Nelson Provincial Government 1853-1867: New Zealand Government 1874 - 1879.
- Brief passenger listings from local newspapers, including trans-Tasman and coastal shipping, 1842-1870
- New Zealand, Naturalisations, 1843-1981
- New Zealand, Registered Ships & Owners, 1840-1950
- New Zealand, White Wings, 1924, 1928 (Volumes 1 & 2)
National and Online Resources
- New Zealand Company lists, 1839-44,1847-50, indexed
- New Zealand Shipping Company lists, 1875-1950 (indexed 1875-83)
- Also check Papers Past (early newspapers included Passenger lists for most ships).
- Records of assisted immigration to New Zealand
- lists of resources which can be used whether the date and place of ship arrival is known or unknown (mainly for Christchurch region)
- New Zealand, Immigration Passenger Lists (1855-1973) - fully searchable
- Comber Index of Shipping Arrivals (original) and lists of pre-1880 Wellington ship arrivals.
- Watt's Index of New Zealand Registered Vessels 1840-1950 with appendices on shipowners and masters
- has an immigration search portal detailing vessel and passenger arrivals to New Zealand in the 19th Century.
- on Roots Web. A selection of ships and passenger lists compiled by the genealogy community.